Monday, November 19, 2012

12:2 Mien

Where & When: I found the word mien when I was reading my article for the reciprocal teaching article.

"While his dear Ulkna’s sad entreating mien,/ Did but increase the brute’s unchaste desire;/ He vaunting bears her off, her sobs are vain,/ They part the man and wife whom all admire" (p 598).
 
Hansen, J. (2009). Multiple literacies in the content classroom: High school students’ connections to u.s. history. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 52(7), 597-606. doi: 10.1598/JAAL.52.7.5

Definition: a person's manner, bearing, or appearance, expressing personality or mood

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mien

Level of Familiarity: I had never heard this word before until the poem from the article.

Reflective Commentary: While searching for a word this week, I had found another word in the article but could not recall where it was located. I instead found this one first and was still just as curious to its meaning. When I first typed it into Google, I typed 'mein' on accident. I had not realized I switched the 'i' and the 'e' at first so I was rather confused why it was defined as "Chinese wheat flour noodles." As that does not make sense in context. While his dear Ulkna’s sad entreating" Chinese wheat flour noodles. I suppose it could make sense if the noodles were old and appeared sad but Ulkna's sad manner sounds much better. I have not heard this word before so I wonder if this is out of date  (as in not popular). But it also could be that I have seen it before just not realized it.





No comments:

Post a Comment