Thursday, November 15, 2012

12:1 Scrupulous

Where & When: Scrupulous was found by one of my students at work today.
           
“’You are over scrupulous, surely. I dare Say Mr. Bingley

Austen, J. (2003). Pride and prejudice. New York, NY: Barnes & Nobles, Inc.


Definition: having or showing a strict regard for what one considers right; principled.
Or 
punctiliously or minutely careful, precise, or exact: a scrupulous performance.
Based on the sentence, I believe Scrupulous means being punctual and precise

Level of Familiarity: While I think I have seen the word before, I did not know the actual definition. 

Reflective Commentary: During my first period class, my student was reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. This student in particular is a 9th grade male. We watched the movie during my 3rd period class and he would come in to watch it with us because he finished his work across the hall, in his Global class. I originally brought in the book for the girl in third period to read because she showed interest in reading it after I played the movie. Of course I was floored that she was willing to tried and read a Jane Austen novel as the language is difficult. I promised the 9th grade student that I would bring in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies in for him to read. Back to today’s class. We were mainly working on makeup assignments because so many students were absent. This student is bright and explains why he is in 9th grade but taking 10th/11th grade English. He said he was bored because he finished The Hunger Games 1-3 already. So I offered to give him Pride and Prejudice to read for now. Since the vocabulary is difficult for the book, it wasn’t long before he asked me what scrupulous meant. Of course I didn’t know what it meant so I had to look it up. Then I realized this student actually helped me with my homework by giving me a vocabulary word.

Mrs. Bennet herself; the lady who is the topic of the sentence

No comments:

Post a Comment